Natural calamities like hurricanes and storms can cause devastating damage to your home. Even when the hurricane is not that destructive on the scale, windows and doors can get damaged, unless of course, you have installed something beyond the normal designs. As the name suggests, impact-resistant windows and doors are designed to withstand strong winds and rain. If you have a storm preparation checklist for your home, installing such windows should be on the top.
Before you go ahead and order impact-resistant windows and doors, make sure that you are aware of what to expect from the product. Windows that are meant to resist strong winds often have two or three panes instead of a single-pane, which prevents the glass from shattering when the air pressure is high inside the house during a strong. Besides impact-resistant glass, what also matters as much are the frames of your windows. Reinforced frames made of materials like aluminum and vinyl are your best bet, which also have a wide range of finishes to choose from, so you don’t have to compromise on the overall appeal either.
Tips for working with an installation service
- First and foremost, make sure that that the installer is licensed, insured and known. You may want to check online to find independent review of the service, or just ask for reference.
- Check if the company has an in-house team of expert installers, and all their workers should be insured and bonded, because in case there is any accident during the work process, it may become your implied liability.
- Get warranty. You may want to ask about warranty when it comes to installing new or replacement of impact-resistant windows and doors. Ensure that everything that a service promises is mentioned on paper.
- Review their materials. As we mentioned earlier, three-pane or double pane windows, and strong & reinforced frames are a must for impact-resistant homes. Check the materials used in the construction, so that you know exactly what to expect.
- Ask for a quote. Ensure that the installer offers a detailed estimate of the costs, what’s included, cost of materials and other details. Don’t be tempted to save money on impact-resistant windows and doors, because you may end up paying more in damages and repairs later, especially if the storm was a destructive one.
Check online for installation services now and enquire about impact-resistant windows and doors.